Update Your Acura GPS System with New Map Updates for 2012February 5, 2012 # 11:48 am # Tutorial # 4 Comments
In the third installment of our “how to” guides concerning GPS device map updates we now have details on how to get new directions and routes onto an Acura dashboard navigation system. Previous articles have detailed information on updating Garmin maps and the install process for a Honda Accord navigation system update.
This article concerns the Acura range. Acura are owned by Honda and are luxury price bracket cars and SUVs that have become some of the most popular in the United States over the last decade. The range includes the RL, TL, MDX, and CL models – the majority of which come with a pre-installed GPS device embedded into the dashboard. Like the Honda Accord GPS guide we published, it’s not possible to remove the GPS in order to download maps off the Internet – instead you need to order a map update DVD online and then physically update using the GPS disc drive underneath the screen display.
How to Install Acura GPS Updates
Assuming that you have already purchased and received your new Acura DVD then this is what you do:
- Locate your GPS disc drive – on Acura models this is usually found underneath the screen display, but on some earlier models from 2001 to 2003 it will occasionally be in the glove box or underneath the driver’s seat.
- The GPS will ask you to enter in your unique customer code – which can be found on the case that the DVD came in.
- Now let the updates run – and on Acura car’s this might take over an hour so be patient and make sure you do not turn the ignition off during the install process.
Why Buy the New Acura Navigation DVD?
When you purchase the new mapping disc you aren’t just getting new road updates. It will also end up saving you money and making you drive more economically. This is because a GPS navigation device will route you the most efficient route (either quickest or shortest) and due to the traffic jam warnings can end up letting you even reduce your CO2 fuel emissions – savings of $450 US Dollars a year can be made. This number is based upon the typical American driving habit (source: US Dept for Transportation 2011) – using the following data:
- Average fuel cost of $3.5 Dollars a gallon
- Driving 15k miles every year
- City and outer city driving (50/50 split)
- With a two to three liter engine sized car (typical Acura sizes)
More Information on the Acura Navigation DVD
Acura have recently released their new navigation disc for 2012 which contains any change that has happened on the United States’ road network in 2011 – not only that but it also includes an update POI database (points of interest) which contains millions of useful destinations such as hospitals, ATMS, shopping malls, and tourist attractions. This is an annual update and for more information you should visit this Acura Navigation DVD 2012 website for all pricing options and Acura vehicle models.